Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Learning to work with models...

This very well should be a blog all unto itself.  But I'm feeling lazy and don't want to create another blog.

Until recently, I've pretty much stuck to shooting HDR landscapes and live events/shows.  I've had people tell me that some of my landscape work is really great, but would be even better if I had a model in the image somewhere.

Lately, I've had more time and availability, so I've been taking that advice and working with some models here and there.

Some things that I've learned are:


  1. Give feedback to the model.  
    1. It should be positive and/or constructive.  If you like what they're doing, say so.  If you don't, ask them to change what it is you don't like and explain why.  Simply saying "this sucks" doesn't help anyone, and can put them in a bad mood.  If the model isn't happy, it will show in the photo.
  2. Have an idea of what you want to get out of the shoot before you get there.
  3. If you want the model to do something specific, either make sure you have the time to explain it well and don't be afraid to stand in for the model to show them exactly what it is you are going for with a particular pose.
  4. Finding a model that is professional is extremely helpful.
    1. They know how to pose and won't just stand in front of the camera.
    2. They will show up, and most of the time be punctual.
    3. There are many other reasons, but I'll save that for another post.

Here are some photos from this week's shoots with Ashley.







These last two photos really emphasize how incorporating a model into the shoot totally changes the photo.  The columns are nice, but with Ashley there, they take on an ancient Greek feel.  Having her next to them also shows just how large they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment