Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Traveling and planning

This last trip was really a two part trip.  The first was to spend the Christmas holiday in Italy with some good friends.  This part of the trip went without issue and was nice and relaxing.  

Generally when I travel, I do some research beforehand to get an idea of a few things that I want to do in the city I will be visiting.  I do not, however, plan every moment of every day.  To me, that is not a vacation and does not leave any time to relax and enjoy myself.  For Catania, my only plan was to visit with friends and go with the flow.  It was great!  Here is an image from Syracusa, a town that is a short drive from Catania, that we visited one of the days in Italy.



The second part of the trip was to bounce over to Paris to spend New Year's Eve.  That part did not go quite as planned.  While I had a great time, I should have done some better planning and research before leaving.  Some issues were that the Louvre is closed New Year's Eve, New Years Day, and every Tuesday.  Those happen to be the only 3 days I was there.  The other issue, which wasn't necessarily a problem, just more of a disappointment.  Paris does not do anything for New Year's Eve.  No fireworks, no concerts, no announcers.  Nothing!  I don't know about you, but I like fireworks.  New Year's Eve without fireworks is like pizza without cheese; it just not the same.  A great time was still had and I managed to come away with some of my favorite types of souvenirs: great photos!  They are cheap, don't require dusting like little nick-nacks do, and are fun to share.  Below is one of the shots of the Eiffel Tower. 


More of the images from my trip to Paris can be on my website John Shippee Photography.

What are some of your favorite travel tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment